As a contribution of our own towards the Best Wishes archive, the subset of the team who brought you blogs such as The Intergalactic Cereal Cafe with Cats and Beyond Best Year Ever (i.e. those of us who have actually set foot inside SNOBS) have been lovingly compiling a very special mixtape of songs to commemorate the closing of Impact Hub Birmingham and as a musical reflection on the last 5 years.
As many of you will recall, the co-curated opening festival of the Hub back in 2015 was called Demo.B, of which one of the programming strands was Demo.Tape, looking at the role of culture in exploring the nuances of a democratic city and accelerating collective action together. Since then creative, cultural and participatory programming has been a cornerstone of how we’ve explored ideas, how we’ve celebrated and how we’ve platformed and given space to share and express ourselves around difficult topics within our lives, the city and more widely in society. We count ourselves as incredibly lucky to build alongside so many talented artists, performers and makers.
This Best Wishes Demo Tape takes that wonderful arc into a fully circular record to spin, from 2014 to 2019, reflected in the number of tracks on each side. Side A is based on the process of closing of Impact Hub Birmingham itself throughout the final months, whereas Side B harks back to key themes of our time together throughout the last 5 years, from bicycles and banquets, to bills, bills and more bills.
We hope you’ll enjoy navigating these tracks whenever you want to reconnect with this time and place. Like any meaningful relationship this has been one of love, pain, joy, sadness, meetings and partings, and we’re so proud to have had you all along for the ride with us.
So, for one final time, it’s Best Wishes from all of us at Impact Hub Birmingham. Now, let’s melt some faces.
1. Cups – Lulu & The Lampshades | I sure would like some sweet company / Oh I’m leaving tomorrow, what do you say?
2. Overcome – Laura Mvula | With the world up on your shoulders / Nowhere left to hide / Keep your head up, carry on
3. Busy Earnin’ – Jungle | Selling furniture and well, selling everything actually
4. Let’s Hang The Landlord – The King Blues | When we received the £128,000 dilapidations bill
5. Got My Brandy Got My Beats (Feat. Lil Silva) – Kano | Don’t be sad for me / Still got my brandy, got my beats
6. The Fine Art Of Hanging On – The Leisure Society | The fine art of hanging on / Has whipped us to lift a life from the remnants
7. People Not Places – Grande Valise | People and not places / They occupy the spaces / Where I keep the precious memories in mind
8. Russian Literature – Maximo Park | More empty buildings for invisible men / No market value to justify the price of the rent
9. Got ‘Til It’s Gone – Janet Jackson | Joni says… Don’t it always seem to go that you don’t know what you’ve got ’til it’s —
10. To Build A Home – The Cinematic Orchestra | Saying goodbye to the empty Walker Building
11. Brand New Colony – The Postal Service | Beginning the transition to CIVIC SQUARE
12. Find The Colour – Keiran Mckenzie | A talented member and friend giving great advice for moving forward
13. Farewell Transmission – Songs: Ohia | Final tweets, final communications as Impact Hub Birmingham
14. Don’t Look Back Into The Sun – The Libertines | Don’t look back into the sun / Now you know that the time has come
1. Birmingham (Anthem) – Lotto Boyzz | It all started with Mission Birmingham
2. Strong Black Coffee – Jared Mees & The Grown Children | Impact Hub Birmingham was built in coffee shops, before getting its own
3. Dreaming of Another World – Mystery Jets | An ode to Beautiful Trouble and other early influences
4. Dark Matter – Andrew Bird | Town Halls for the 21st Century and more from Indy Johar / 00
5. Team – Lorde | We live in cities you’ll never see onscreen / Not very pretty, but we sure know how to run things
6. Yellow Hearts – Ant Saunders | Yellow cushions, yellow cups, Yellow Wednesdays… this hopeful colour brightened our days
7. House of Fun – Madness | Who knew what to expect at Hub: with parties galore and programming of all kinds filling the space daily
8. Kids – MGMT | Our children’s membership ensured Thursdays were our favourite
9. Appletree – Erykah Badu | I have some food for thought / Since knowledge is infinite it has infinitely fell on me
10. Banquet – Bloc Party | All those times we filled the workshop and shared dinner and drinks
11. Avant Gardener – Courtney Barnett | Urban farming with Daniel, KIONDO and co.
12. Bike Rider feat. Pupajim – Mungo’s Hi-Fi | A team and community passionate about travelling on two wheels
13. Something To Believe In – Young The Giant | Convening incredible people constantly gave us all something to believe in
14. Bills, Bills, Bills – Destiny’s Child | You’re slowly making me pay for / Things your money should be handling
15. Bitch Better Have My Money – Rihanna | When large organisations didn’t pay their invoices…
16. Focus – Lady Sanity | Can’t lose focus / Living life is a bonus / Been times I felt hopeless / But gotta make moves like I own this
17. Tubthumping – Chumbawamba | I get knocked down, but I get up again / You’re never gonna keep me down
18. Superstar – Jamelia | One of our most famous parent members herself
19. Children of The Revolution – T.Rex | You won’t fool the children of the revolution, no no no